In my book, Marriages By Design, I formulate a model of marriage built on 8 foundations. If any marriage would focus on these 8 things there would be great relationship.
1. Love - Love by Accurately Considering and Deliberate Contributing to our partner’s need. Think AC/DC.
2. Grace - Give each other the benefit of the doubt just as God gives us the benefit of unearned favor.
3. Value - Value ourselves and our partner the way that God does, for He really does.
4. Truth - Eliminate duplicity and speak the truth in love.
5. Service - Practice giving above getting.
6. Forgiveness - Be quick to let things go.
7. Honor - Show value by giving respect.
8. Trust - Become vulnerable to create intimacy.
Thoughts to Ponder:
What foundations are strong in my marriage? How am I contributing to these?
What foundations are weak in my marriage? How am I contributing to these?
Luke 6:48 He is like a man building a house, who dug down deep and laid the foundation on rock. When a flood came, the torrent struck that house but could not shake it, because it was well built. (New International Version)